Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Be the Change & Living Proof of a Better Way!

Watching this video today of Xavier Rudd performing this song really moved me, and reminded me of a recent coming together of a group of old friends in a florescent lit hospital bedroom.
This Song, Better People,  reminded me of why certain people have come to be such a central part of my life:  And how such a seemingly random group of people have all come together to be inspired by each other over a long period of time.
At first, I felt that I was the only thing that they all had in common; but then I realized that each one of us was the common denominator and primo genitor for everyone else within this small group of men and women; All from different age groups, backgrounds, professions, ideals and eccentricities.
Funny, I thought how different we all are: How our interests, pashions and talents differ so wildly between us. Pausing to reflect, I realized the one thing that binds us all together.  The common thread is that these people are all leaders in their own everyday lives, and living proof of a Better Way. Yes, some of us are ivy league educators, successful business people, doctors, artists, politicians, musicians, etc. etc.  But what remains when stripped of our talents, titles and egos is: The resolute and constant belief in a kinder, gentler and overall better way of living.
All mentors to me in this singular way; I remembered something that my mentor, Andrew, lying below me on his bedding, told me years ago when I was first discovering my ambitions, passions, talents and personal voice. "....Its just not enough to be successful, passionate, talented, and hip and progressive: You must embody the change that you want to see in the world and lead with your own life."
Change is effected by personal example, and indirectly and surreptitiously inspired upon others without their conscious knowing that they have been inspired. Be the change that you would like to see in the world. The mark of a true leader...

No comments:

Post a Comment